We all feel the impact of the Corona virus on our society. The implications in all countries do vary and change every day. Your and our industry, are vital in many ways for supplying and producing consumer goods. As indicated by governments the transport of cargo should continue and we do our best to ensure this happens. At this moment our vessels are sailing and so far no proven infections have been reported amongst our personnel.
On board, our seafarers are far away from home and calling a lot of countries not knowing what to expect. They cannot work from home or take care of their families. The crews on board will not be changed in order to keep their environment clean on board. It also means that they cannot go home. We have a deep respect for them and we hope, that like all of us, they will stay “clean”. We have arranged that they get all the possibilities to communicate with their families then before.
What did we do to comply with or pro-actively arrange for a safe continuation of our mutual business?
As a shipping company we had to take sector-specific measures for which we follow the advice of the Dutch government and the guidelines of RIVM.
Shore and offices
- - A dedicated Task Force Corona (TFC) has been formed who work on outstanding actions, required new measurements and daily communiques. This in close consultation with the Board of Directors and the rest of our Management team.
- - Our offices are open, but in line with the measures of the Dutch government, our employees work from home as much as possible; We have facilitated this for over 200 persons in our offices over the globe and this guarantees the processes to continue.
- - All participation in meetings and events are cancelled;
- - until April 12, we will not receive an external visitors to our offices, except mail delivery and goods suppliers. They are handled from a distance with general hygienic rules.
- - To minimize the risk of contamination, our employees are not allowed to travel for work-related activities. In case of an emergency only with our specific permission;
- - We have strongly advised our employees against travelling for other activities, such as holidays, day trips etc. In order to keep themselves and others safe and healthy and to secure our business continuity.
- - We suspended the crew changes of our vessels until at least May 1st (and as far as possible)
- - Our crews are instructed not to go ashore
- - crews will ask authorities and shore personnel to keep clear of our crew members on board and not to enter the accommodation and preferably not to board the vessel if not absolutely necessary. We realize that these measures may seem drastic, but we believe they are necessary in order to protect our crew and visitors. We expect your empathy and participation to uphold this measurement.
Let’s have understanding and take care for each other, stay in contact and healthy.
Koos Zumkehr (Director Chartering)
Theo Klimp (Fleet Director)